Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:11:11 +0200
From:      Luca Pizzamiglio <l.pizzamiglio@bally-wulff.de>
To:        x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Ivy Bridge performance regression: swrast?

Hi x11 list!

Some times ago, I tested BSD 9 and all KMS related stuff on a Sandy
Bridge chip (HD Graphics) to evaluate performance.
everything was fine and glxgears obtained 75 fps, as the monitor refresh
rate. I used glxspheres also and everything was fine.

I have now a Ivy Bridge chip (HD Graphics 2500).
I updated FreeBSD 9 sources to handle Ivy Bridge chips and ran again
glxgears: surprise! glxgears cannot run more then 45~48 fps.
glxspheres run at 3~4 fps.
The suspect is that hw acceleration is not active here.

glxinfo tell me:
OpenGL render string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.3

So I guess all libraries are correctly installed and the chip is
correctly recognized.

But in Xorg.0.log I can read this two lines:
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

Are they correct or that means that Hw acceleration is off?
What am I doing wrong? How could I check if rendering is hardware
accelerated?

Thanks in advance for your precious help!

Best regards,
Luca

FYI I'm also testing intel DDX 2.20, I'd like to try sna acceleration
(--enable-sna in configure_args added), but configuring sna as
AccelMethod it failed to start. With uxa AccelMethod everything is as
usual (poor performance also)