Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:26:28 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@via-net-works.net.ar>
To:        colinj@cs.unm.edu (Colin Eric Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting passwored data via a perl cgi

En un mensaje anterior, Colin Eric Johnson escribió:

> I'm in the process of writing a cgi script in perl that should verify
> people against the machines password file. The problem that I am running
> into is that if the script is run by anyone other then root I get an
> empty encrypted password field.
>
> I don't want to run the cgi SUID root as this doesn't seem safe.
>
> Is there a way to allow other users access to complete password database?
> I understand, basically, why this is restricted but I'm not sure how else
> to solve this given FreeBSDs restrictions.

For a similar problem I decided to use the SuExec feature of Apache.
Basically you create a wrapper that talks to a suid program exchanging
minimun (and because of this, easily veryfied) information. SuExec
performs a *lot* of security checks. You can read more about SuExec in
the Apache documentation.

Good luck!

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA Net Works Argentina SA
Diagonal Roque Sáenz Peña 971, 4º y 5º piso.
1035 - Capital Federal, Argentina.
(54-11) 4323-3333
http://www.via-net-works.net.ar