Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:31:31 -0600
From:      djohnson <johnson@faradayco.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCI Enumeration

I am working on an embedded FreeBSD (4.2) device with proprietary PCI
devices on the bus..  I don't have a FreeBSD background and am having
trouble finding the right underlying code to hook into, for what we need
to do.  Basically two things need to happen:

1) Need to be able to enumerate the PCI bus and printf as much
information about bus devices as possible (sort of like what
pcisupport.c does).  Preferrably this would do the enumeration without
going to BIOS for it, but BIOS calls may be acceptable.  So, which of
the several (sort of undocumented) underlying pci code modules are
preferred, for: (a) getting the raw data, and (b) for converting it to
human form?

2) I also need to be able to perform basic write-read tests on devices
on the bus, both in memory space and I/O space.  Upsetting the hardware
during these tests is acceptable.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Doryn Johnson