Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:06:29 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another Linux Religious war (was Re: Commercial vendors registry)

At 11:30 PM 4/15/97 +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
>In some mail from David S. Miller, sie said:
>>
>> Thats funny, we don't have any "Linux vs. FreeBSD" web pages in the
>> Linux world, there are a few "Linux vs. NT" ones which are, from a
>> free software perspective, much more relevant if you are truly
>> interesting in seeing free software and Unix succeed.  I guess it is
>> just akin to a food chain in the free Unix world.
>
>I can't see any upper management person ever taking a liking to anything
>that is available "freely" on the 'net for mission critical stuff.  And
>I don't mean your < 100 people small companies, but big organisations
>with real budgets.

*waves hand* Hey there! Hi!

Where I work we use Apache, with a custom module (or two) written by me.

We've got several thousand users, worldwide, with a large number of them
located at our HQ (where I am). This is on a corporate "Intranet".

We serve pages out of AFS, and use AFS ACLs for access control. Our old server
was NCSA, and it didn't allow us to do this. We actually had managers
complaining to the Vice President of the division about NCSA's lack of
access control via AFS.

Our VP didn't care that we were using Apache per se, he just knew that we
got 1) a huge speed increase 2) Satisfied management by giving them control,
and 3) didn't ask for any money.

Since we moved to Apache, usage has been steadily increasing -- we got 1.6
million hits in March, for example. We are now looking towards some sort of
load management, perhaps a huge machine, perhaps many small ones.

Now if I could just get them to accept FreeBSD...
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/