Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:57:12 +0600
From:      =?koi8-r?B?88HOxNnLwsHF1yDrwcrSwdQ=?= <kairatsan@rambler.ru>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   compability

Good day! I am writing this letter after to much letter in Broadcom, but =
they did't help me. So, in our company we planed to by router with 6 =
optic 1000 Mb/s adapters and 16 Eth 100Mb/s with function:

1. routing

2. firewalling

3. vlans 2,3 level.

Each optic adapter is connected to Nortel switch(BPS) wich have optic =
module and that BPS connected by cascade to another BPS on on same =
floor, because on every floor are about 100 users. 16 Eth adapters =
connected in internal servers and connected to servers in DMZ. This =
solution now is working on Passport 1200(Nortel) or just Accelar. But =
this router have't firewallig. ON desktops of users installed the "BEST" =
operating system Windows. To much our users working in Internet and have =
ICQ and working with disks from outside and when somebody of PC infected =
like for example Blaster or another ANTI MS viruses that PC genereating =
very big traffic by net. Thats why before we asked from popular cisco =
company how much price of router with function as I said above and what =
you think they said us 190000$. It's unbeleavable! Of course I am like =
administrator which love only freebsd (all our server like mail,www, etc =
working only with OS FreeBSD) said ok let's take some small server with =
6 PCI or PCI-X slots and insert there optic NIC's and we will have =
router level 7 with all functions as we need. So we find the server: =
ProLiant ML570 with inserted HP NC6770 PCI-X Gigabit server adapter, =
1000-SX (chipset Broadcom 5701(h)). Our reseller not have this adapters =
and for testing we need to buy them. But I think that much better asking =
you about corresponding device to FreeBSD because your company can your =
company nearly to Broadcom from me and your reseller can give you for =
test this card. If your test will be unhappy can you say wich adapters =
is compatible with FreeBSD. If every think will be OK I will go to cisco =
and will say that we have another solution not expensive and 100 times =
better than their. Please help me I very want to proof them that FreeBSD =
more cool!

With Best Regards,

Kairat Sandykbayev.

system administrator.