Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 17:23:49 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Giovanni Trematerra <gianni@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@rice.edu>, Alexander Kabaev <kan@freebsd.org>, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: [RFC] Kernel shared variables

On Monday, June 04, 2012 5:16:10 pm Giovanni Trematerra wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think duplicating this logic in userland would just be wasteful.  I have
> >> a private fast gettimeofday() at my current job and it works by exporting
> >> the current timehands structure (well, the equivalent) to userland.  The
> >> userland bits then fetch a copy of the details and do the same as bintime().
> >> (I move the math (bintime_addx() and the multiply)) out of the loop however.
> > I started yesterday an implementation which uses shared page to export
> > some variant of timehands, and uses auxv to provide the libc with a pointer
> > to timehands when rdtsc is reasonable.
> >
> > I almost finished both 32bit and 64bit userspace, but there is
> > kernel-side work left. Is your implementation ready or close to be ready
> > for commit ? In other words, should I drop the efforts, or continue ?
> >

> Hey wait, What are you doing?
> This is completely unfair. You didn't even review my patch.
> I really don't understand your way to completely ignore me and start implement
> yesterday something you didn't care about for more than 3 years.
> It costs me a lot of time and energy and I think I deserve more respect that
> just be ignored.

In fairness, I would not be able to use your version of gettimeofday().  My
application requires something where we can interpolate based on the value of
rdtsc().

Also, I don't really see the need to export anything other than the details to
make gettimeofday() faster.  I don't see a practical need for using shared
variables for getpid(), getpgid(), getppid(), getuid(), or the like.

--
John Baldwin