Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 01:47:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect" <jamil@acroal.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I off my rocker? (/dev/tick device)

1) I realize that (/dev/tick).  However, the "clock" is a device, and
in the UNIX spirit of things should also be a file. No?  In this same way,
I don't really see why any of the /dev/mem devices are necessary?  All of
those things could be accomplished through system calls.  In that way
/dev/null and /dev/zero are pretty useless, I mean what do they really
achieve that you couldn't do in C code?
2) On the vectorized i/o, think about processes multiplexing
with say 1000 - 2000 descriptors.
3) Your pretty conservative, sometime I wonder if maybye you wouldn't be
happier with a 10 year old copy of AT&T UNIX?