Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:55:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with CVSUP to 4.0 Release, any ideas??

Howard Leadmon writes:

 > Has anyone updated a mid-febuary 4.0 to the RELEASE code on Alpha via CVS
 > and had it go smooth, and if so what steps did you use to get there??

Yes, at least 3.  But my methods are rather unconventional.  On my
build machine, which is running a 4.0-current box from mid January, I
updated my source tree to 4.0-RELEASE via:

cvs -R -d /home/ncvs up -r RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE

I then built the world on this machine via make buildworld, and
nfs-exported /usr/src and /usr/obj.   On each target machine, I mount
buildhost:/usr /usr and buildhost:/usr/obj /usr/obj & do a
make installworld.  I've had no problems at all.

One thing to check would be:  did your installworld acutally
complete?   At one point the installworld was falling over in h2ph
when a crypto-related header file was being perl'ified.  If this is
your problem, try doing a 'make -i installworld'

Drew