Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 00:37:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: buying IP addresses

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>  	new draft rfc is out proposing selling IP addresses
> 	memtions that there is dscussion of selling rouing table
> 	entries as well (BGP)
>
> 	new world?
>
> ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cidrd-mktbased-alloc-00.txt

Does anyone remember all the fuss about CIX a while ago?

Since address allocation for 3rd tier customers is usually out of
their providers address space, they are, in a sense, being "charged for".

Since the large backbone providers SHOULD be covering their costs
by charging their customers, routing entries are, in a sense, being
"charged for".

Now, if you charge for routing entries, will EVERYONE who is carring
a full BGP routing table get a bit of the take?  Seems only fair.

:)

Since I'm reading the draft, I'd like to quote and comment on a few things.

(from section on, second paragraph)

Assignees do not pay for the numbers they receive. The InterNIC
itself is subsidized by the NSF. This panel is supposed to propose
methods of making the InterNIC self-supporting. I propose to
remove one of the functions of the InterNIC registration services
to a free market, leaving a much restricted function that will be
less costly to run.

---

Now wait a minute.  The entire goal of this draft (or so it seems at
this point) is to make the "NSF subsidized InterNIC" self-supporting.
I thought their NSF money ran out and they started charging for
domain registration.  What happened to all that cash they were
supposed to rake in?  :)

Ok, having read the draft, I think I need to read it again. :)

A very interesting idea, this money as incentive for optomizing address
space.  I think they have it all wrong though.  They need to charge
MORE for routing small address space and LESS for large.

I think I'm going to mail a request to the InterNIC for an /18 now.

:)

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  |      Have you rewired your dmarc today?  YOU WILL!    |