Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 19:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Greg Caton <adent420@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd questions

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Greg Caton wrote:

> I just got a copy of FreeBSD. And i need to know exactly how to set up
> my root-level accounts...Thanks
>
> Greg Caton

There is only one "root" account. This account is set up for you during
install.

Setting up any account entails:
-making a home directory
-assigning a valid shell
-setting up your mail spool file
-other things which I may have forgotten

See 'man adduser' for more info.

There is also a related issue that you did not ask about.

Other userids can be given the ability to become root via the 'su'
command.

To accomplish this, edit '/etc/group' and place the userid you desire to
have root power in the group named 'wheel'.

See 'man group' and 'man su' for more info.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html