Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:49:01 -0500
From:      Jim Foltz <aa204@acorn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What comes on the cd distribution?

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD, although I have been using Linux for a little over 2
years. I installed it after reading a comparison between Linux and FreeBSD
on www.linuxworld.com. I currently use Debian/GNU Linux.

I would like to ask a couple of questions:

1. Is there any special reason the ``core'' packages (bin, manpages) are
split up into ~240,000 byte sections? Why not floppy sized sections, or
some other size?

2. Can FreeBSD continue where it left off when installing/upgrading over
an intermitant network? My (free) ISP hangs up after an hour. That and I
use a 14.4 modem. It's not as bad as it sounds. I use cron or at jobs,
wget, and some simple shell scripts to automate downloading while I sleep.

3. Does the source code and ports collection come on a typical FreeBSD cd?

4. Is the ports collection available in a big gzip'd tarball, instead of
having to retrieve it one file and directory at a time? I tried get
ports.tar.gz in FTP, which didn't work, although get ports.tar did.

5. When I installed a few packages (precomiled), They were installed un
the /usr/local hierarchy. Some package info was also stored in
/var/db/package-name. Is this db info used by any package tools or
anything? sysinstall didn't seem to know I had already installed some
packages.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

--
Jim Foltz <aa204@acorn.net>