Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:12:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "M. Sebastian Comella" <xsiv4ce@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer issues

M. Sebastian Comella writes:
> 	I am running a new Dell Dimension 4100 system with FreeBSD 4.1.  The Dell
> came with a Canon BJC-4110 printer; unfortunately, Canon chose to only
> ensure compatibility with Windows and Macintosh computers.
>[...]
> 	I know the printer functions on its own (printing internally-stored test
> pages and such), and I know the communication is ok (as indicated by the
> messages at boot); it just seems that something is being lost when the data
> hits the printer...Do I need to find (or write) a driver for this device, or
> some similar action?  If so, I would appreciate it if someone could direct
> me to the proper resources.  I'm hoping for it to be a stupid error (as
> those are easiest to fix), so please...humble me!  :)

Unix doesn't have printer drivers per se. It just sends bits to
devices. Making sure the device driver responds to them properly is up
to the applications.

If you haven't installed it already, try installing GhostScript
(/usr/ports/print/ghostscript6) and seeing if it has a driver for that
printer.

If you're up to a longer install, try /usr/ports/print/apsfilter,
which will install ghostscript - among many other things - to filter
postscript to your printer properly.

	<mike