Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:31:45 +0100
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a standard for "knob" documentation?

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:34:42AM -0800, George Hartzell wrote:
> Is there a standard place for a port to document the various build,
> install, and/or package-time KNOBS that they support/require?

Unfortunately, no.

> I've been confused at times as I build/install stuff, and have watched
> heads-ups go by about various ports (e.g. building uw-imap to support
> unencrypted connections, vnc and the WITHOUT_SERVER knob).
>
> I've taken to skimming all of the files in the port to see if
> anythings rings a bell, but long for something like a pkg-README file
> that would give me a heads-up.
>
> Is there a standard place that I should be looking?

No. There is some info on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/x1291.html#AEN1499,
though. Which is not a place I would expect users to go looking.

I've often thought about adopting the OpenBSD flavor scheme. Which would
help/sort out this. See http://www.openbsd.org/porting/diffs.html for
some more information, under "Flavors".

Cheers,

--