Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:58:14 -0800
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM question 3.0-RELEASE

Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Rob Snow wrote:
>
> > I'm still debugging my problems with lockups during heavy network writing.
> > I've installed two 2940's and can make it fail on either controller,
> > eliminating my thought about some SCSI bus trash.
> >
> > Now, both of my drives seem to reset the tag queues when they go under load,
> > is this normal?
> >
> > My Micrapolis 3243-19 (On 2940):
> > tagged openings now 35
> >
> > My Segate 39173W (On 2940UW):
> > tagged openings now 63
> > tagged openings now 62
> > tagged openings now 49
>
> This is normal.  The system tries to figure out how many tags each unit
> can support by experimentation and observation.  Some disks are
> broken here and have to be quirk'd to turn off or reduce tags.

Is there some reason why these messages are desirable and need to be on by
default?

They certainly get annoyingly voluminous at times. The following comment is from
the freebsd-scsi archives:

I have some machines at work, and whenever I do lots of disk io, I
get tons of the "tagged openings now XX" messages.  I noticed
that this is due to line 2819 in cam_xpt.c:

if (bootverbose || 1) {
       xpt_print_path(crs->ccb_h.path);
       printf("tagged openings "
              "now %d\n",
               crs->openings);
}

Would it be possible to remove this 1 before the 3.0 release?

-Chris Csanady