Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 20:17:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Font <font@couscous.fortdearborn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu, carlos@gutierrez.com
Subject:   UPDATE: DAT always writes short tapes

Here's an update on the DAT tape situation.  To recap, my WangDAT 3400DX
DDS-2 drive errors out after dumping about 1.5 Gbytes of data, whether on
a 90m or 120m tape.  This is under FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.

Doug White suggested I use -B and/or -b flags to indicate tape length.
Mark Tinguely suggested using the -s and -d flags.  Carlos M.
Gutierrez suggested ensuring the drive heads were clean.  None of these
resulted in success.

An opportunity arose for me to borrow an Archive Python DDS-2 drive, so I
did, and it worked flawlessly (dump -0au /filesys) on the same system.
The difference? "mt status" is different.

On the WangDAT:

lid# mt status
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
1:        X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
2:        X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
3:        X3B5/88-185A    variable       61000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.

On the Archive Python:

Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
1:        DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
2:        DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
3:        DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0

The "Density" is different on the WangDAT.  When I tried "mt density
DDS-2" on the WangDAT, the command was accepted but it didn't stick; the
output of "mt status" was unchanged.  I'm assuming the WangDAT's
"X3B5/88-185A" just doesn't use any DDS-2 features.

However, when I took a 120m tape backed up on the Archive Python and put
it into the WangDAT 3400DX, a sample "restore -i" worked just fine.
Apparently the WangDAT can detect a properly-formatted tape, it's just
hard to get it to write one.

Therefore I surmise that either the WangDAT isn't responding to
fairly-standard SCSI commands properly, or it's somehow internally broken
for writing.

So, while I have more information, I still don't know what to do next to
get the WangDAT tape drive to work.  It seems a shame to put it out to
pasture just yet.  The only other thing I can think of is to try a backup
under Windows (ptui), to see if the drive needs some kind of special
support.  I may try that tomorrow, with EZ-SCSI, if I have to.

And, for the sake of completeness, here's the detect info (only one was
attached at any one time, of course):

WangDAT:

Apr 24 19:39:16 lid /kernel: sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
Apr 24 19:39:16 lid /kernel: sa0: <WangDAT Model 3400DX 1.1j> Removable
Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
Apr 24 19:39:16 lid /kernel: sa0: 5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 15)

Archive Python:

Apr 24 04:53:52 lid /kernel: sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
Apr 24 04:53:52 lid /kernel: sa0: <ARCHIVE Python 00367-XXX 5.23>
Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
Apr 24 04:53:52 lid /kernel: sa0: 5.0MB/s transfers (5.0MHz, offset 15)

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.

dw