Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:02:43 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
To:        Sergio Carlavilla <carlavilla@freebsd.org>, doceng@freebsd.org
Cc:        ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com>, "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: To be deprecated [.filename]## tag in the document?

--2dftrqrd3isqa7yv

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 12:43:27PM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 12:31, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:36:05AM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
> > > El jue., 26 ene. 2023 8:21, ykla <yklaxds@gmail.com> escribi=F3:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Yes, the idea is to remove the [.filename]## tag and use ``
> > >
> > > This is from the migration of Docbook to AsciiDoc.
> >
> > But, why?
> >
> > This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
> > semantically, like, we would know what was a variable, a filename, a
> > code block... The idea was to be able to differentiate things, and let
> > the rendering do the right thing.
> > If I see [.filename]#PKG# I clearly see it refers to a filename, they
> > used to be rendered as fixed with, in some color, so that they could be
> > differentiated from other fixed width stuff.
> > If I see `PKG` I just see something that will be rendered with a fixed
> > with font, but I have no idea what it refers to.
> >
> > --
> > Mathieu Arnold
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> > This feels like a regression, docbook allowed us to mark things up
> > semantically,
>=20
> Yes, but this is in Docbook, not in AsciiDoc.
>=20
> For AsciiDoc the syntax [.whatever]## is to declare a class for the CSS p=
arser.
> The result in the HTML, PDF and EPUB will be the same.
> Using [.whatever]## or ``.
>=20
> Personally, for me it is easier to read/write `` instead of the other opt=
ion.
> But not only in AsciiDoc, algo in Github MD, Gitlab MD, etc.
>=20
> But of course, this is my personal opinion, if you think is better to
> use the old syntax, please send an email to doceng@
> Of course, this kind of changes must be decided by the entire Doceng@
> not only a member of them.

This is exactly my point, if you write `foo`, you cannot affect the
rendering so that variable `foo` is different than filename `foo` or
code block `foo`, which is why we should keep [.filename]#foo#, and if
it was ever a thing, [.variable]#foo#, so that rendering can be made
different, and people reading the documentation have a better
experience, like, if something is in fixed width font, and in green,
(which was the color when we used docbook, I think,) then I know it's a
filename, I don't have to figure it out by using context.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold

--2dftrqrd3isqa7yv

--2dftrqrd3isqa7yv--