Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 11:43:08 -700
From:      James A.Taylor <jataylor@xmission.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp, getty and automatic baud rate detection

> > > I just tried logging in via a regular dial-up
> > > terminal application rather than ppp and found
> > > that at 19200 I get a login prompt however at
> > > other speeds all I get is garbage characters.
> >
> > okay, your modem is set to switch com port speed to the
> > actual line speed. I would take a wild guess that it may have
> > been used in a wildcat or pcboard bbs before to have been
> > set in that way :) You'll need to play with the nonvolatile
> > ram settings in the modem and get it to use the more
> > standard "fixed com port speed" config and then std.115200
> > should be fine. Until you do this, I think the only speeds
> > you'll ever see are 300/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200.
>
> Once the speed has been put in /etc/ttys (and init HUPd), you also
> need to connect to the modem (you can use ppp in command mode) at
> the same speed and do a few ATs to train it to that speed.
>
> --
> Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>

Brian's suggestion to train the modem to the new speed was most
helpful.  The only problem I have is that if the modem loses power
you have to re-train it before it will answer.  Is their a way to get
around this need to re-train or automatically train it before the
modem answers each caller?

Thanks all for your help

James A. Taylor