Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:01:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modem woes

I'm not sure if this is a FreeBSD issue or a hardware issue, but I have
been having mysterious problems with my internal USR Sportster 28.8.

The modem takes commands ok -- in ppp or minicom I can type "atdt" and I
hear a dial tone, it dials and even hardware handshakes.  But it won't
talk to me!  Not a peep, not one little "OK" or "CONNECT 21600".

In ppp, a "show modem" is normal unless I have gone into terminal mode.
Then I get this extra message:

outq: ioctl probe failed: Interrupted system call

I tried swapping out my modem for a known-working similar model (which I'm
logged in on right now).  I also tried putting it in a different ISA slot.
No effect from either.

I had a power loss the other day and I suspect my FS may've gotten
corrupted.  At first, when I thought this was a ppp problem, I tried to
recompile it and couldn't.  (Damn, I didn't write down the errors, and as
I've only one monitor for the two machines at the moment, I'd rather not
go duplicate the problem.)

Minicom has the same behavior as ppp: I can talk to the modem fine but it
won't talk to me.

Any ideas?  TIA.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."