Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:11:45 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

>I currently have a box running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.
>I'd like to replace this machine, but want to avoid
>having to reinstall and reconfigure everything. If I
>remove the drive from the current machine and pop it
>into the new one, should it boot and everything work
>OK?
>
>I'd recompile the kernel when the operation was done,
>assuming it all works.

If the hardware on your new machine is compatible with FreeBSD, you should
have no trouble booting the GENERIC kernel (Make a new GENERIC kernel if you
didn't keep the original one around...)

To load the GENERIC kernel, instead of your custom one, press any key other
than Enter during boot and type:

    Ok  unload
    Ok  load /kernel.GENERIC <or whatever you named it>
    Ok  boot

You should be up and running!

--Dan

--