Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:29:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Daniel Szlaga <mszlaga@szlaga.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large HDD Support

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  3 January 2000 at 23:51:03 -0500, Mark Daniel Szlaga wrote:
> >    Also, for some odd reason if I make one large partition (approx 27GB)
> > going into the Express setup, custom package installation causes a SIG11.
> > The hardware is good.  Dunno though if the download might be corrupted or
> > my setup is bad.  Any suggestions?
>
> We suspect a bug in the "old" IDE driver (which is still the standard
> for released versions of FreeBSD) which might cause this kind of
> problem, though so far we had thought it only happened on drives of
> more than 27.5 GB; you must be just on the borderline.  It seems that
> creating partitions of less than 27 GB helps.  This problem no longer
> exists in the "new" IDE driver which will be available with FreeBSD
> 4.1.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was able to get it functioning by choosing
to install all packages.  (which is pretty much what I do)  Knowing this
I will definatly have to upgrade to 4.1 when it is released.

On a side note, FreeBSD impressed me yet again! (I have been a user for
my firewall (over linux) for over a year now.)  Linux had trouble loading
and booting on my HDD and the DEC 21143 card I'm running failed even with
the newest drivers off the net.  Both the DEC card and the HDD were detected
and used with no problems right out of the box!  Kudos to all of the
developers!

Mark Szlaga
mszlaga@szlaga.net