Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:58:06 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet root login

Disabling the telnet completly means that the FBSD box won't use telnet to
exchange terminal information (right???), BUT, if I start using SSH, what
am I using at the client side to access the FBSD box ?

BTW, some other questions not directly related to this, but that will raise
while I am making all modificatios: where do I set my default editor (set
it to uemacs, which is already instaled and working); I'm using bash2.0.

Where are the archives of this list, so that I can search them ?

TIA.

At 12:44 PM 2/25/98 -0700, you wrote:

>You could change your /etc/ttys file to allow "secure" logins on pty's,
>but that is not generally accepted.
>
>You need to login as a non-root user who is a member of the group "wheel"
>and use the su command to become root.
>
>Telnet packets can be snooped and reconstructed, allowing others to know
>your root password. You should look insto installing "stel" or "ssh" and
>using these instead of telnet. Disable telnet completely if possible.
>
>This should have been sent to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
>
>Kevin
>
>On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Capriotti wrote:
>
>> Sorry to boder you guys again, but I am in trouble here.
>>
>> The Brazilian FBSD list is not working, so, I have no other source of info
>> I can count with. My question is very basic and shouldn't be addressed to
>> hacker in normal conditions, but... here it goes:
>>
>> I'm trying to log to the FBSD machine using NT 4 workstation's telnet.
>>
>> Any root-level user can't login; The login attempt returns:
>>
>> Login incorrect
>>
>> Other non-root users login ok.
>>
>> Is this a security  - FBSD - issue or an NT issue, and how to get it
solved ?

>> Thank you again (ahmmmm... is there a FreeBSD-basic questions list ???
:)  )