Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2020 20:41:02 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
Cc:        Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 17:40, Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se> wrote:

> To be honest, what's the difference from how yum or apt does it?
> At least yum search returns everything that matches, including matches
> in package descriptions and so on.  I haven't used apt systems in a
> while, but I recall they being similar.

The difference is just that a yum or apt user is probably encountering
the equivalent of `pkg search xorg` for the first time in an xterm
with familiar scrolling behaviour, not an 80x25 console where they
might not be able to find out how to find output that has scrolled off
the screen. This isn't a problem with pkg, it's a problem with the
experience we present to a new user.