Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:33:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Wheat <jeff@cetlink.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: cheap cheap 4mm tape drive wanted

On 11-Dec-97 Greg Lehey wrote:
>> http://www.corpsys.com has had good prices on DDS drives in the past
>> but I haven't seen any in the past year.
>
>They've been offering an Archive 4586 autochange for some time now.
>The current price is #379.  See more details on
>http://www.corpsys.com/cgi-bin/select?282585099339485&specials&4586NPR.
>I have one of these drives, and so far it's been the most reliable DDS
>drive I've ever had (daily 8 hour backups for a year now).  By
>contrast, the HP drives are unreliable.  You should definitely avoid
>the old DDS-1 drives, which never lasted more than 6 months for me.
>
>> After chewing up two WangDAT 3100's I've always been happy with the
>> Archive drives. And I was very happy when Seagate shipped the SCSI
>> programmer's guide for free when I asked for it.

Greg,

        Hi there. I just recently bought two of the 4586 drives from
corpsys.com and have had to return 3 of them so far. They seem to die
when doing dumps after about 4 hours into the dumps. I have them setup
under FreeBSD 2.2.5 with an Adaptec 2940UW controller. I have tried to
use the changer script from corpsys.com's ftp site and it trashed my hard
drives due to what seems to be changes to the scsi command itself. If you
could send me any information on how to use these drives with 120meter
dds2 tapes and amanda backup software I would be very grateful. I would
really hate to return these drives.

Regards,
Jeff

  Jeff Wheat                  jeff@cetlink.net             Senior Engineer
  CETLink.Net Inc.             South Carolina              +1.803.327.2754