Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:42:04 +0900
From:      Kimura Fuyuki <fuyuki@hadaly.org>
To:        hrs@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        shige@FreeBSD.ORG, henrik.motakef@web.de, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats up with share/xml/catalog?

At Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:52:49 +0900 (JST),
Hiroki Sato <hrs@jp.FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> fuyuki> Is there any plan to extend mkcatalog to create the XML catalogs?
>
>  Personally yes, I am trying to add XML catalog support
>  into mkcatalog.  Please wait until it is ready.

Good news. I just wait for the release. :)

>  However, I wonder if ports folks agree with depending on
>  mkcatalog among ports that manipulate SGML/XML catalog or not.

I agree that both styles of catalogs are created and most users would
welcome it.  IMHO, the sudden catalog format change would be a POLA
violation.

However, the naming scheme for catalogs can be quite controversial.  I
don't know what's the best, but the dedicated directory for catalogs
could be an option. (ex: Debian maintains sgml catalogs in /etc/sgml.)

>  Mkcatalog is written only since I annoyed that updating catalog was
>  done in inconsistent ways in ports collection.  So if anyone know
>  another/better tool for the purpose, please let me know.

Could you tell me the rough plan of your new mkcatalog?

Regards,

-- fuyuki