Date:      Sun, 24 May 2020 14:01:49 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, Wiebe Pestman <wrpestman@gmail.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org,  "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gratuitous port splitting (was: Port Avidemux)

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 9:56 AM Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the avidemux port should be renamed to avidemux-libs, and then a
> new avidemux meta-port could be created with basically just an OPTIONS
> screen where your pick which parts you want installed?
>
> Cheers,
> Freddie
>
> Typos due to smartphone keyboard.

At a minimum, the base port (avidemux) and the plugins should be merged.
You really must have both to do anything. I would like to see the CLI and
GUI ports become options in a single port instead of separate ports.  If
the base port is renamed, I'd prefer avidemux-base. Since gtk and qt4 are
no longer options, I'd suggest avidemux-gui until/unless they are merged
into a single port.

I have started re-writing the descriptions with my first attempt included.
The current one is terribly old, not even mentioning the most popular
muxes, MP4 and MKV. and mostly ignores the fact that it is now really an
editor.

Proposed pkg-descr:
Avidemux is a free and open-source transcoding and video editing
software designed for easy-to-use video editing and video processing.
Avidemux also offers a command-line interface.

Avidemux is capable of non-linear video editing, applying filters by
to video, and transcoding video into various formats. Avidemux can
also insert audio streams into a video file (muxing) and seperating
streams (demuxing). Most popular codec and muxes are
supported. Matroska (MKV) is the default.

Most codecs allow full tuning capabilities for trading off between
speed and accuracy via the GUI or CLI.

At this time, you must install multimedia/avidemx,
multimedia/avidemux-plugins, and multimedia/avidemux-cli and/or
multimedia/avidemux-qt5, the latter two providing user interfaces.

WWW: http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/