Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 1995 11:13:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za (John Hay)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

> Hi,
>
> I am running FreeBSD-current with a kernel of this morning, if this is
> relevant. I have compiled a program, copied it with cp to another directory
> and executed it from there. Then I changed the source, compiled it again and
> when I tried to copy it, I got the "cp: /users/jhay/bin/u2d: Text file busy"
> message. But the program is not running anymore. I have waited a few minutes,
> thinking that there is some cache that have to timeout, but it did not help.

I can confirm this. Have seen it too when I wanted to replace an old version
of Xaccel with a newer one from a tar archive. After killing the X server
I still got a "text file busy" message and only got around this by deleting
the binary.

> Now it isn't the end of the world for me, I can just delete the file before
> I copy the new one or use install.
>
> I would just like to know if this is expected behaviour or not?
>
> --
> John Hay -- jhay@mikom.csir.co.za

FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Sun Feb 26
20:27:39  1995     root@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386