Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:01:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "'Jim Pirzyk'" <jim@pirzyk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: XFree86 on a DS10

Schroeder, Aaron writes:
 > This may not be it at all, but I had some problems with my Miata and the
 > XFree86-4.1.x release.
 >
 > When I would go to configure X with 'XFree86 -configure' my machine would
 > die and go back to the SRM...
 >
 > When I put my Matrox card behind the PCI-Bridge, i.e. in one of the 32-bit
 > slots, things worked fine.
 >
 > Maybe you could try and put your video card in a 32-bit slot?

He doesn't have any, its a ds10.

Don't run -probeonly.  Alphas don't like their PCI buses blindly
groped at.  Just setup a conservative XFree86 config file via the text
based setup and go from there.

If you can't get the ATI to work, then my suggestion would be to use a
elsa gloria (or another glint based card).  They seem to work best.

FWIW, I ran X on a 21264 as my desktop for 1.5 years.   I just
switched to a P4.  Its so much cooler and quieter in my office now ;)

Drew