Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 16:11:43 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape device wt0 (was Re: Compiling custom kernal proble

> > Problem:  I can't compile a new kernal 'cause apparently my disk is
> > hosed.  To fix it, I'd really like to backup my system and then
> > format the disk.  But I can't get the tape to work  without a new
> > kernal (is this true?  I have my doubts!).
>
> This is not true. The GENERIC kernel has support for QIC 02 Tapes.
>
> > Is this Catch 22?  <grin>  It's not all that serious, but I would
>
> What is a Catch 22?
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks very much for the reply and clarifications.

Catch 22 is a novel by (I think) Joseph Heller about a US Airman in
WW2--he tried to get out of the airforce by claiming insanity, but
the medics told him that anyone who wanted out of the airforce was,
by definition, sane.  He could only be insane if he wanted to stay in
the service.

He ends up dying after being shot down in Italy.  The book is
sometimes funny, but is really a tragedy.  Worth reading.

Again, thanks for help--I think I have enought to go on now.

Cheers,

Riley