Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:27:19 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RealAudio and acroread ports

I am running 4.4-RC (kernel and OS) built from last night's cvsup.
On a 4.3 kernel from the CD, neither of the following problems
occurred.

The Real Audio player has buzzes and pops when it is playing things.
I can play CDs wihtout problems, and I can also play local audio
files (cat foo > /dev/audio) just fine, so I believe that this must
have something to do with the Linux emulation, since the RealAudio
player is the one from the ports (linux-realplayer-8.cs2).

My audio is the audio built into my Asus K7M motherboard:  pcm0:
<VIA VT82C686A> port 0xcc00-0xcc03,0xd000-0xd003,0xd400-0xd4ff irq
9 at device 4.5 on pci0 Although since CDs and non-Linux emulation
stuff play fine, I suspect that the problem lies elsewhere.

Also probably related to the Linux emulation is that acroread from
the ports (acroread4-4.05) dies with a segmentation violation and/or
the message Exited with error code: 0x400e0009.

I have linux_base-6.1 from the ports installed.  I just checked, and it
appears that this is the current one.

--
Kenneth Ingham
ingham@i-pi.com