Date:      25 Apr 1999 02:34:00 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: writing slower with SoftUpdates

Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com> wrote:

> If these are in fact identical drives,  I would start looking at the
> mode pages on the first drive to see if you have write caching turned
> on.  Softupdates usually prefers to cache data itself, and you can get
> degraded performance if the drive is doing caching too.

In what way do soft updates perform additional caching?
And why should this interact badly with drive caching? Disabling the
drive's write caching seems like an excellent way to cripple the drive
to me.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.