Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:56:49 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poll() for pthreads?

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 05, 1998 at 11:22:36AM +1100, John Birrell wrote:
> To implement poll(2) properly, the internal use of select(2) as the
> blocking mechanism needs to be changed to use poll. It's not just a matter
> of a wrapper, since you can implement true poll functionality with
> select.

OK, well I'll leave it then.  As I said, it's way out of my league.

> I thought Netscape were using their own threads.

NSPR is their threading library, along with providing a uniform platform
for their software (Mozilla, servers, etc.) on Unix, Win, Mac, etc.  It
can be compiled to wrap the native threads for the platform, since it
can then use kernel threads.

Even though it would be a net loss under the current pthreads, it would
be nice if we ever get kernel threads.  NSPR (and Mozilla) are known to
work on other platforms so they could show up bugs in our thread code.

Plus I'm just one of those people who wants to try all the buttons...

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.