Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:51:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ alpha ] supplement to beast becoming available (fwd)

We could, but:

#To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"

is the default as well.

I found, btw, that

hint.atkbdc.0.at="isa"
hint.atkbdc.0.port="0x060"
hint.atkbd.0.at="atkbdc"
hint.atkbd.0.irq="1"

in my loader hints file caused a panic on the 4100 similar to yours.

When the atkbd controlle actually tries to attach, it prints out:

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0

So, I commented out the hints file entirely. So- without digging into the
details, it seems to me that the port hint and something else deciding there
could be a second port, was also a cause of confusion and panic.

-matt