Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:40:20 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

>You are not alone. I have a 486DX4/100/PCI and an adaptec 2940, and I get
>these the whole time, as well as the signal 11's. I just tried a reboot,
>ant the files that were corrupted before are now OK???!! They are corrupted
>in exactly that same sort of way you are reporting.
>
>My kernel is stable, the rest is a mix (a lot hand-installed).

The only known problem with the aic7xxx driver has to do with losing bytes
(the transfer leaves a residual of 1-13 bytes).  This only happens when
the transfer is going faster then 10MB/s (like a wide cappella or atlas),
so a narrow device shouldn't show this problem.  Single bit errors are
almost always ram or cache problems.  The driver supports full parity
checking on its data up to the point that it is transfered to host memory,
so I don't think this is the driver's fault.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM