Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 1995 05:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat_Barron@transarc.com
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Two questions/comments about latest -current snapshot....

Well, this weekend, I finally managed to get a copy of -current that would
build from /usr/src all the way down, and to get my machine in a condition
to do that, for the first time in over a month.  Having just finished
a "make world", I have a couple of comments and/or questions about what
I've just installed.....

     1)  Now that the disk slice code is in place, shouldn't fdisk
be changed to use "/dev/rwd0" instead of "/dev/rwd0d"?  (That's
a rhetorical question, of course - it seems pretty clear that this
should be done.....).  [BTW, the error messages that came out of
the disk slice code the first time I booted this kernel were pretty
scary - talking about partitions being rejected because they were
not contained entirely within the slice.  It's also pretty scary
that, when it discovered this, it apparently modified the on-disk
copy of the disk label.  For safety, shouldn't I have had to do that
manually?  It's sort of disconcerting to have stuff dinking with the
on-disk disk label behind my back.....]

     2)  I notice that the SLIP driver has been changed to require a
destination address for SIOCSIFADDR.  I've never been really sure
what to fill in for this, since the device on the other end of my
SLIP connection (a Cisco terminal server) doesn't really "look" like
a traditional point-to-point interface - the other end doesn't have
it's own, distinct IP address.  I just put my SLIP address as both
the interface address and the destination address, and that seems to
work OK.  Is there something else I should be doing instead?  (OK, that's
not strictly a FreeBSD question, but it is something I haven't had to
worry about until my latest build of -current).

Oh, I actually have a third comment, too (regardless of what the
subject line of this message says).  "make -DCLOBBER world" does not
seem to work, since the build procedure wants to build ld.so very early
on, and at the time it tries to do this, libc.a has been removed and
not rebuilt yet (of course, ld.so is linked static).  (This is
different than the the way it used to fail, where /usr/include/ss got
messed up....)

Enjoy,
--Pat.