Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 17:30:44 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "DINKEY,GENE (Non-HP-Loveland,ex1)" <charles_dinkey@non.hp.com>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Netserver LX Pro Install Hang

----- Original Message -----
From: "DINKEY,GENE (Non-HP-Loveland,ex1)" <charles_dinkey@non.hp.com>
To: "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 15:36

Hey Gene, what's your email address, anyway?  When I CC you messages they
bounce.  Do I have edit the address?

| Most of the problems I saw relating to the remote assistant was
| configuration issues and firmware issues.  The older firmwares were very
| buggy (please dont ask me the revisions, I have moved on to HP-UX
Visualize
| Workstations and my brain is full  :).

Don't worry, I won't ask.

| The 0304 error is "Invalid configuration between memory sizes in banks".
| The LX Pro uses 2 banks of memory spread across the 2 memory cards, each
| card contains a 4 slots for bank 1 and 4 for bank 2.  Sounds like you had
| mismatched ram...

Nope, broken system board.  The non-booting memory config was booting just
fine in an LX Pro 200 across the room.  When they replaced the system board
today it started working again, and now that I'm happily downloading 4.0
onto my functioing Mylex DAC.

The fact that I was actually getting POST errors and had swapped memory
boards was the magic to have HP get a body out here with a new system board.
They usually bug me about running diagnostics, but I did that on this
particular machine with no errors.  Maybe I should keep a FBSD install set
handy as more realistic diagnostics...