Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:34:44 +0100
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   performance of home automation hardware

What home automation hardware should I use/avoid
if I want it to be fast and reliable?

Is anything connected directly to a PC's serial
port (etc) OK? I would assume that this would
work, with the tiny bandwidth needed for this.

According to the web page though, HCS 2 modules
are slooow ('several seconds on large networks')
and unreliable, reading between the lines this is
because they continuously poll all devices on a
9600bps net using a Z80. (Anything connected
directly to the controller is OK, but most modules
don't.)

As the X-10 stuff is also slow and unreliable for
doing more than switching devices on and off, this
leaves me with CEBus (if I can find anything using
it.) This is more reliable, but how fast is it?

Also, has anyone got URLs where I can find more info
about CEBus and available CEBus hardware? I
couldn't find anything relevant on web searches,
just PC interfaces.

--
searle@longacre.demon.co.uk