Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 14:45:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world failure

On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Kim Culhan wrote:

> Getting close to -current, now this illegal install option:
>
> cd /usr/src/lib/libutil && make beforeinstall install -C -o bin -g bin -m
> 444 /usr/src/lib/libutil/libutil.h /usr/include
> install: illegal option -- C
>
> Is my 'install' too old or is the Makefile obsolete ?

see the manpage fragment below, your old install is obsolete.  Go into
/usr/src/usr.bin/install, and do a make;make install before trying to
make world again.

NAME
     install - install binaries

SYNOPSIS
     install [-cs] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 file2
     install [-Ccdps] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] file1 ...
             fileN directory

DESCRIPTION
     The file(s) are moved (or copied if the -c option is specified) to the
     target file or directory.  If the destination is a directory, then the
     file is moved into directory with its original filename.  If the target
     file already exists, it is overwritten if permissions allow.

     -C.     Copy the file, as if the -c option is specifed, except if the
             target file already exists and the files are the same, then don't
             change the modification time of the target

> regards
> kim
>
> --
> kimc@w8hd.org

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;