Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 95 13:22:00 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [DEVFS] your opinions sought!

First a correction:
> > crowd).  Another possibility is to use a BSD X-10 CP290,

Darn fingers type BSD too damn easily!  I meant BSR X-10
CP290 controller.

> Needs:

> 1) To be able to access the console of various machines, either locally or
>    remotely.  Currently there are 6 machines to worry about.  More soon.
> 2) To be able to knock reset on arbitrary boxes.
> 3) To be able to power up/down arbitrary pieces of equipment - some because
>    they lack accessible reset lines (Suns), some because I want them to go
>    down quick and not drain the UPS's during power failures, to allow key
>    systems to live longer..
> Now, if I build a few more neurons of intelligence into it:
>         a) it needs to verify that gaia is still functional.  It can do this
>            by continuing to chat with gaia over the serial line at intervals.
>            If gaia fails, reset gaia (plus other "backoff" checks).
>         b) in power failure recovery situations, perhaps run some special
>            code to bring up gaia first, and then allow gaia to orchestrate
>            a network restart.
>         c) code all sorts of watchdog stuff into gaia such that gaia can
>            watch the other machines, and reset them via this controller.

Sounds like a miniboard will do the job for you.  Or any one
of commercial 6811 based boards.  The reason I suggest
miniboard is because its design is free and as someone else
has already done the hard part, you can focus on the fun
part and get it done faster. [And if you are into LEGO you
can build some neat intelligent mobile toys:-)]

A miniboard is a 3.3"x1.86" size board, designed by Fred
Martin of MIT Media Labs.  It has 8 analog inputs, 8 digital
inputs or outputs, several timer/counters, all broken out to
convenience berg headers.  It can drive up to 4 motors
handling <= 600 mA & <= 36 volts.  It has a RS232 port + can
speak Motorala's SPI protocol (if you want to hook up a
bunch of them together).  Typically it has a 2K EEPROM + 256
bytes of RAM.  It runs off a 6 to 36 Volt power supply.  You
can download new code to it via the serial line.  For
writing the program you can use a free gcc port (but
requires some configuring) or one of two very nice but
inexpensive C compilers. 2Kbytes is *plenty* of space for
this sort of thing.

If I were doing this, I'd electrically isolate the MB --
probably use relays for reseting and power cycling.  Analog
inputs can be used, e.g., to check if the machines are
overheating (due to a faulty fan).  They may even be usable
for monitoring the power line and splicing in your 12VDC to
110VAC converter on the fly in case of a failure but that is
probably a nontrivial design [though very tempting to
try....]

By using some decoding you can control many more than 8
outputs.

Miniboard kits are around $50, if you can become part of a
group buy.

--bakul