Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:54:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make /dev/pci really readable

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Does anyone have an objection to making /dev/pci really honor the
> permissions, and giving normal users (or just group wheel) premission to
> run pciconf -l.  Right now the code requires the write bit set for any
> operation.

I seem to recall that there was a problem wherein user processes could
cause cause unaligned accesses using /dev/pci.  There's also some rather
odd use of useracc(), printf(), etc, in the ioctl code.  I suspect this
code needs some fairly thorough review and cleanup before we should reduce
the level of privilege required to use the device (note that we make it
world readable by default, so changes in the semantics of read permissions
will affect all users in the system).  Could you do that cleanup in the
first pass, then revisit the permissions change?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories