Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 2020 21:57:45 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: panic!("docallb") in nfsrv_docallback

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 8:58 PM Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Alan Somers wrote:
> >I just saw this panic on a 12-stable machine.  Unfortunately, I don't have
> >a core dump, just a stack trace.  It was serving NFS v4.0, with
> delegations
> >enabled.  The clients were all Debian, with Linux 3.16.0.
> I will generically note that I believe the Linux NFS client developers
> mostly
> test NFSv4.1, 4.2, so if the clients support NFSv4.1, it might be worth
> upgrading?
>
> Also, delegations aren't enabled by default for a couple of reasons.
> 1 - For a long time, Linux only knew how to use read delegations and I felt
>      (and still feel) they are pretty useless.
> 2 - They are complex to get right.
> 3 - Although they should reduce the number of Open operations against the
>      server, I haven't observed dramatic performance improvements because
>      of them.
>
> >The proximal cause of the panic seems to be that the file had a write
> >delegation issued to an unconfirmed client.  Root cause is harder to
> >determine.  Did the kernel previously issue a delegation to an unconfirmed
> >client?  Or did the client somehow change to an unconfirmed state after
> the
> >delegation was issued, perhaps due to a race?
> I think the first case is more likely. Since client confirmation happens
> immediately
> for NFSv4.1 (the ExchangeID and Createsession must occur before anything
> else can happen), I wouldn;t be surprised if the Linux client tries to do
> an Open
> before the SetClientIDConfirm has completed for NFSv4.0.
>
> >It's hard to tell, but I don't see any checks for lc_flags &
> >LCL_NEEDSCONFIRM in nfsrv_openctrl (which issues the delegations), so I'm
> >guessing that that's the problem.
> The server should definitely check for a confirmed ClientID during Open and
> fail any Open attempt where that is not the case.
> --> I'll take a look at the code. I wrote it about 20years ago, but I can
> probably
>        figure out how it works.;-)
>
> >  If so, then the event trace would look
> >like this:
> >
> >1) Client Alice sends SETCLIENTID.  The server creates a client state
> >structure
> >   for her.
> >_) Client Alice should've sent SETCLIENTID_CONFIRM, but doesn't.  Bad
> Alice!
> >2) Client Alice sends OPEN for some file, and is issued a write
> delegation.
> >   The server shouldn't have issued it, because Alice's client ID is
> >   unconfirmed.  Bad server!
> >3) Client Bob tries to do a GETATTR on that same file.
> >4) In nfsrv_checkgetattr, the kernel finds a write delegation for that
> file,
> >   owned by client Alice.
> >5) The kernel tries to send a NFSV4OP_CBGETATTR callback to Alice, to see
> >if the
> [...]

Wow, thanks!  That's better feedback than I ever hoped for.  About fixing
the bug: my odds of reproducing it in the original setting are low, since
it's a production server.  And I doubt I could force it via normal traffic
to a development server, either.  It took many terabytes of traffic to hit
the bug this once.  I think my best shot would be to use LibNFS (
https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs) to write a custom misbehaving NFS
client.  But that's daunting; the only NFSv4 examples are nearly 1,000
lines each.  But, I could probably do it with enough time.  Do you have any
better ideas?
-Alan