Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 07:30:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@ferginc.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: crypto stuff

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> This doesn't relate directly to FreeBSD, so I didn't post it to a
> "working" list, but it's interesting.  RSA Data Security just started
> their challenge, $10,000.00 to the first guy to break their 40 bit US
> legal crypto.  What a surprise, a student from UC Berkeley broke it in 3.5
> hours.  Flag up, flag down, real short challenge.  I have the two page
> article on it (it was sent to the cryptography list I subscribe to).
>
> If there's significant interest, I'll post it.  The thing to consider is
> that this clearly highlights to everyone how totally useless the (legally
> allowed) US data encryption is.  One can hope the embarrassment will have
> some good effect.

 Not marked interest here! I would like a copy.. or better yet a url
 and post that so that every one can get it if they want!

  -branson
 Branson Matheson     | Ferguson Enterprises  | If you're falling off a
 System Administrator | W: (804) 874-7795     | mountian, you might as well
 Unix, Perl, WWW      | branson@ferginc.com   | attempt to fly.  -Delenn