Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:00:43 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   STABLE PANIC by wavplay - third report

I just cvsupped/builtworld to the latest STABLE at about 7 AM this
morning only to find that the wavplay port can cause my system to
reboot spontaneously.  I saw another report of this recently, but
unlike that one, mine was not silent.  Here is the initial gdb output
along with a backtrace, which points at sndbuf_clear():

PS:  As I went to post this, I saw a second report of this problem,
again caused by wavplay from a normal user account.  I couldn't read
the attached files though. :-(

(no debugging symbols found)...
IdlePTD 5287936
initial pcb at 435a40
panicstr: page fault
panic messages:
---
fault virtual address	= 0x3a
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02e3624
stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xc03d84d8
frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xc03d8578
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask		= tty
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

fault virtual address	= 0x30
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02d1ab4
stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xc03d82d8
frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xc03d82dc
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= Idle
interrupt mask		= tty bio
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 11m54s

dumping to dev #ad/0x20001, offset 155648
dump ata0: resetting devices .. done
[long list of counting down numbers deleted]
#0  0xc01a62ba in dumpsys ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc01a62ba in dumpsys ()
#1  0xc01a60d4 in boot ()
#2  0xc01a6475 in panic ()
#3  0xc035b54b in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc035b1ed in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc035ad5b in trap ()
#6  0xc02d1ab4 in acquire_lock ()
#7  0xc02d59f4 in softdep_update_inodeblock ()
#8  0xc02d0d1a in ffs_update ()
#9  0xc02da531 in ffs_fsync ()
#10 0xc02d8e27 in ffs_sync ()
#11 0xc01d584f in sync ()
#12 0xc01a5ea6 in boot ()
#13 0xc01a6475 in panic ()
#14 0xc035b54b in trap_fatal ()
#15 0xc035b1ed in trap_pfault ()
#16 0xc035ad5b in trap ()
#17 0xc02e3624 in vm_fault ()
#18 0xc035b19b in trap_pfault ()
#19 0xc035ad5b in trap ()
#20 0xc031f6cd in sndbuf_clear ()
#21 0xc031fe3b in chn_wrintr ()
#22 0xc032053f in chn_intr ()
#23 0xc030ed9b in sb_intr ()
#24 0xc0310a4e in sbc_intr ()
(kgdb)

Other info:

uname -a: FreeBSD kirk.sector14.net 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
    #1: Sat Feb 24 13:59:33 EST 2001
    dgl@kirk.sector14.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386

Other info available on request, but I'm not sure how much is
needed.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com