Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 07:38:10 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install floppies

On 2001-Apr-03 14:31:35 +0100, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> wrote:
>I was just thinking about the install floppies, particularly about the
>severe space problems that we have there.

PR gnu/26083 includes patches gcc to support the same -malign-XXX=N
functionality as the i386.  My kernel text segment shrank about 10%
when I built it with 32-bit alignment (ISO 16-byte jump and 32-byte
function alignment).  The padding should compress fairly well, and
I haven't tried building boot floppies with it so I don't know what
the overall savings would be.

> Currently our alpha install
>floppies are ufs filesystems and it occurred to me that cd9660 might be a
>bit more space efficient.

Why not go the whole hog and build something that just uses a name,
start block and length.  This would reduce the FS overhead to 1 block.
(I think the UFS overhead is ~24k, I'm not sure about cd9660).

Peter