Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:20:42 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing smbus ABI

--Sig_/+FzrNXiaB=dZdwAc/_LK/Q+

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 06:01:34 -0600
Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

>=20
> > On Mar 21, 2015, at 5:26 AM, Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:
> >=20
> > I'm planning to change the smbcmd structure in an incompatible way
> > (see 'man smb' and
> > https://reviews.freebsd.org/D1955?id=3D4055#inline-12187) in HEAD.
> >=20
> > I'm not aware of any applications relying on this ABI and adding a
> > compatibility wrapper later shouldn't be a big deal either. I would
> > prefer to avoid the additional complexity introduced by such
> > wrapper if it isn't required anyway.
>=20
> We have compete code for FreeBSD 4.x in the driver now. Don=E2=80=99t know
> why it was added. IIRC, this interface is used by the X server on some
> cards to get data from the smbus that=E2=80=99s behind the video chips, w=
hich
> would likely make compat interface almost required.
>=20

I couldn't smbcmd used anywhere, maybe you could point to the correct
ports.

I checked the sources of x11-drivers/xf86-video* and x11-servers/*
(after running make patch on each port). The only file that uses smb is:

xf86-video-trident/work/xf86-video-trident-1.3.6/src/trident_tv.c

and a couple of pciids mentioning SMBbus, but nothing relying on
FreeBSD's native smbus driver.

- Michael

--=20
Michael Gmelin