Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:50:28 +0100
From:      "c a r s t e n" <carsten@realityblur.com>
To:        "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getting DSL working

okay, retrying with no mime attachments. blew a synapse.

i have installed FreeBSD 4.7, customised X a bit, installed xmms from
a port to start getting used to the system, and now i am ready for a
bigger challenge: an internet connection.

i have the handbook, and have read and executed the section on PPPoE
(which is what i presume i need to do for getting DSL running). my
motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7VRXP) has a built-in RealTek ethernet port
which seems to install correctly during bootup (how can i test it?),
and tells me that it is rl0. i am in germany and have a Telekom 300
LAN DSL modem, and will be connecting to 1und1, in case anyone is
familiar with this setup.

i have added the lines to the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf as in the manual (is
it out of date for 4.7, it describes 4.5), with a couple of minor
areas of uncertainty. the line:

  set device PPPoE:rl0

i presume this is what i do with this line. the other line i am not so
sure about is the:

  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0

it follows the manual, so i guess it is right. it just seems odd,
since this has nothing to do with my system.
 	anyway, running ppp from the commandline and then typing 'dial
myprovider' yields the logfile below. i replaced my userid with
XXXXX, but it is my login name in the ppp.conf file.

if anyone could help me out, i would be very appreciative.

as background, i am doing this to a large extent as a learning
experience, so while it would be great to be on the net with FreeBSD,
it is at least as important to me to learn and understand what is
going on. i simply have no networking experience, so i don't
understand the output, and as usual the man pages are great for people
who already know most of the stuff but just need to find an option or
two, but less good for someone who is learning from scratch. i am not
adverse to reading lots of material, as long as it is well written and
informative. any links and/or references would thus be appreciated
(the man pages will have to come later, once i have the fundamentals
understood). a good book would be a Good Thing.

thanks in advance.

---

ppp ON zeus> dial einsundeins
Phase: bundle: Establish
Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
Phase: deflink: Connected!
Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
ppp ON zeus> Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_ACNAME (hook "BERX12-erx")
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SESSIONID
Phase: Received NGM_PPPOE_SUCCESS
Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
LCP: FSM: Using "deflink" as a transport
LCP: deflink: State change Initial --> Closed
LCP: deflink: State change Closed --> Stopped
LCP: deflink: RecvConfigReq(68) state = Stopped
LCP:  MRU[4] 1492
LCP:  AUTHPROTO[4] 0xc023 (PAP)
LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0x20938750
Warning: deflink: Reducing configured MRU from 1500 to 1492
LCP: deflink: SendConfigReq(13) state = Stopped
LCP:  ACFCOMP[2]
LCP:  PROTOCOMP[2]
LCP:  ACCMAP[6] 0x00000000
LCP:  MRU[4] 1492
LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0xe6196745
LCP: deflink: SendConfigAck(68) state = Stopped
LCP:  MRU[4] 1492
LCP:  AUTHPROTO[4] 0xc023 (PAP)
LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0x20938750
LCP: deflink: LayerStart
LCP: deflink: State change Stopped --> Ack-Sent
LCP: deflink: RecvConfigAck(13) state = Ack-Sent
LCP:  ACFCOMP[2]
LCP:  PROTOCOMP[2]
LCP:  ACCMAP[6] 0x00000000
LCP:  MRU[4] 1492
LCP:  MAGICNUM[6] 0xe6196745
LCP: deflink: State change Ack-Sent --> Opened
LCP: deflink: LayerUp
Phase: bundle: Authenticate
Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
Phase: Pap Output: XXXXX ********
Ppp ON zeus> Phase: Pap Output: XXXXX ********
Phase: Pap Output: XXXXX ********
Phase: Auth: No response from server
LCP: deflink: LayerDown
LCP: deflink: SendTerminateReq(14) state = Opened
LCP: deflink: State change Opened --> Closing
LCP: deflink: RecvTerminateAck(14) state = Closing
LCP: deflink: LayerFinish
LCP: deflink: State change Closing --> Closed
LCP: deflink: State change Closed --> Initial
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: lcp -> logout
Phase: deflink: logout -> hangup
Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
Phase: deflink: Connect time: 11 secs: 52 octets in, 133 octets out
Phase: deflink: 21 packets in, 47 packets out
Phase:  total 16 bytes/sec, peak 39 bytes/sec on Mon Feb 10 22:35:17
2003
Phase: deflink: hangup -> closed
Phase: bundle: Dead