Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 08:21:25 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, current@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: procfs patch

>Comparing uids gains absolutely nothing.

Yes, it does:  it makes it useful.

Tell me:  how many applications do *you* have that use procfs?

>The program can change uids many times and finaly do allowed combination.
>But "interesting" code or data from previous superuser mode can still left
>in the memory.

My patch is no different than the situation with core files.  If a process
has your UID, you can make it dump core, and then examine its data.  This is
an extensio of that.

>I think any access to memory must be disallowed immediately after exec of
>setuid program issued by user (not setuid root) program. I.e. exec call
>must set some flag (in struct proc?) disabling procfs access and procfs
>call need to check this flag only.

Gosh, that's what I had originally, and everyone didn't like *that*.
(Frankly, neither did I.)

Sean.