Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:40:15 +0100
From:      Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On cooperative work [Was: Re: newbus' ivar's limitation..]

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> You don't want to work cooperatively.
>>
> Why is it that mbuf's refactoring consultation is being held in
> internal, private, committers-and-invite-only-restricted meeting at
> BSDCan ?
>
> Why is it that so much review and discussion on changes are held privately ?

Arnaud,
belive me, to date I don't recall a single major technical decision
that has been settled exclusively in private (not subjected to peer
review) and in particular in person (e-mail help you focus on a lot of
different details that you may not have under control when talking to
people, etc).
Sometimes it is useful that a limited number of developers is involved
in initial brainstorming of some works, but after this period
constructive people usually ask for peer review publishing their plans
on the mailing lists or other media.
If you don't see any public further discussion this may be meaning:
a) the BSDCan meetings have been fruitless and there is no precise
plan/roadmap/etc.
b) there is still not consensus on details

and you can always publically asked on what was decided and what not.
Just send a mail to interested recipients and CC any FreeBSD mailing
list.

Attilio