Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:45:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>
Cc:        gjb@gbch.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

:>     My recommendation is to turn softupdates on for everything you have,
:>     and for us to make it a newfs default as well.  At least in -stable.
:You use softupdates turned on for all of your ufs.
:Understand.
:What is the reason to use softupdates for file system
:with only atime updates on it?
:
:--
:@BABOLO      http://links.ru/

    Unless you are doing a read-only mount, there are still going to be
    cases where having softupdates turned on can be advantageous.  For
    example, installworld will go a lot faster.  I also consider softupdates
    a whole lot safer, even if all you are doing is editing an occassional
    file.

						-Matt