Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 09:34:29 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 20040502 snapshot + Dell PE3250

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:12:24AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 May 2004 10:48 am, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 02:00:17PM +0530, Muthu_T@Dell.com wrote:
> > > The /dev/da0p2 line shows negative numbers in 'Avail' column. Its
> > > capacity is 104%.
> > > Is this a bug? Or Am I missing something?
> >
> > The root file system is too small. Make it larger. You also need to
> > specify a mount point for the EFI partition so that the kernel gets
> > installed there. You cannot boot otherwise.
>
> No.  sysinstall only mounts /, it doesn't mount the other partitions.  The
> buggy code is in install.c in sysinstall where it does the newfs and mount
> bit since it doesn't check for top-level partitions being filesystems and
> swap, etc.  Also, there is _another_ bug that you can't create a filesystem
> for the remaining space.  sysinstall complains that the partition is too big.
> *sigh*  I'm going to try to work on at least the first bug today.

Thanks.

> > The installer links /boot to /efi/boot, so you cannot mount the EFI
> > partition as /boot/efi. Set the mount point to /efi.
>
> It would be good to document this or better yet fix sysinstall to choose
> '/efi' as the default mount point for EFI.

I was a bit sloppy. You can mount the EFI partition anywhere, as long as
it's not /boot/*. The installer doesn't have /efi hardcoded, I do :-)

Other than that, yes. I'm thinking of enforcing a specific mount point.
I also need to add an EFI partition to the default partitioning scheme
on ia64.