Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:58:03 -0700
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Version Release numbers

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003, leafy wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:47:05AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > NetWare and Oracle.
> We can always follow Sun's path. Call the software FreeBSD II, which
> is FreeBSD 5.2, also known as FreeBSDOS 2.2...

Thankfully FreeBSD does not have a dedicated marketing department.
Apparently after Sun multithreaded its kernel and released Solaris
2.0, people weren't willing to call it stable until 2.3 or so.  It
will be interesting to see how FreeBSD does a decade later.
Performance aside, things seem to be looking pretty good so far.